Home About Us Writing a Scientific Article Author's Instruction Contact us
 

MERIT RESEARCH JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES (MRJMBS) (ISSN:2408-7076)

 
 

/  /    MRJMBS Home   /   /    About MRJMBS    /  /    Submit Manuscripts    /  /      Call For Articles      / /     Editorial Board     / /    Archive     / /    Author's Guide  /  /

 
 


May 2020 Vol.8 No.2

Other viewing option


Abstract
• Full text
Reprint (PDF) (458 KB)


Search Pubmed for articles by:
 

Lemi BW

Other links:
PubMed Citation
Related articles in PubMed
































































 

 

Merit Research Journal of Microbiology and Biological Sciences (ISSN: 2408-7076) Vol. 8(2) pp. 016-024, May, 2020

Copyright © 2020 Merit Research Journals
DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3882902

Original Research Article

Assessment of Water Sanitation, Hygiene and Treatment at House Hold Level in Belela Town, Sidama Zone, Southern Ethiopia

 
 
 

Bikila Wedajo Lemi

 

Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Arba Minch University, Arba Minch, P. O. Box 21, Ethiopia

E-mail: bikilawedajo@yahoo.com

Received: 15 April 2020    I    Accepted: 28 May 2020    I    Published: 30 May 2020    I    Article ID: MRJMBS-20-019
Copyright © 2020 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0.

 

Abstract

 

Ethiopia has made remarkable progress towards water supply, sanitation and hygiene access in the past decade, but still significant challenges remains unaddressed which varies from place to place especially in Belela town which was not well studied. Therefore, the present study was designed to assess the status of water supply, sanitation and hygiene facilities in Belela town, southern Ethiopia. A community based cross sectional study was conducted. The study subjects were randomly selected 342 households by systematic random sampling. Data were collected through interview and observation checklist. Based on the key indicators addressed in this study, access to water, sanitation and hygiene is lower than that of required standard. The main water sources of the respondents of the study area of households were unprotected spring 120 (35.09%) followed by protected spring 89 (26.02%). The per capita water consumption for private pipe were 13 L and for of public were 6.67 liters’ in addition to this the average water consumption per house hold per day for private pipe were 80 liters and for public were 40 liters per day. Training on hygiene and sanitation practice have been given to 99.12% of the families. The odd ratio indicates, there is a statistically significant association between safeness of water and diarrhoea. As a result, from household respondents 58.6% of the diarrhoea cases are under five children and the remaining 41.4% were adults. Health-workers and local stake holders must give special attention to improve the demand of the town, additional water, sanitation, and hygiene programs are required these conditions.

Keywords: Water sanitation, Hygiene, Treatment, Belela town, Household



 












































 
 









 
 

 
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
                         

Merit Research Journals© 2020 || Advertisement | Privacy policy.